North Beach Football
Attention all incoming 7th and 8th-grade athletes planning to play football for North Beach Jr. High School this upcoming season: Practices start Tuesday Aug. 23 at 3:30 p.m. For mandatory paperwork and physicals, contact coach Ric Dycus at email@example.com or Athletic Director Maynard Reed at (360) 289-3888.
The Ocean Shores Water Department will be flushing fire hydrants in the southeastern areas of the city in August. Work will be conducted in the vicinity of Falls of Clyde Dr., Mt. Olympus Ave., Albion Ave., and Island Circle from Cakesosta St. SE to Discovery Ave. SE on Aug. 23-24. It is common for flushing activities to stir up sediment in the water lines surrounding the work areas. The city recommends that you do not use hot water during the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. on the days of service. If you experience discoloration of your water, the city advises to run the COLD water tap for a few minutes until it clears. If you must use hot water during flushing operations, the city “strongly recommends flushing your hot water tank after our operations are complete.”
A map of the work area can be viewed at www.osgov.com. If you have any questions or require additional information: (360) 289-4210 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Associated Arts of Ocean Shores will conduct another in a series of “Paint-Outs” on Friday Aug. 19 hosted by the Garden by the Sea Community Garden. Painters will capture the colors and sights of the garden, located at 824 Ocean Shores Blvd. NW, behind the Galilean Retreat Center. The event will start at 10 a.m. and end about 2 p.m., with an art and plant sale, along with wine and music. Everyone is welcome to attend.
Airport Appreciation Day
Ocean Shores Airport Operating and Development Committee presents the sixth annual Aiport Appreciation days Aug. 27 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Ocean Shores Municipal Airport. There will be a fly-in and open house, with a classic car shows, and displays by North Beach PAWS and the Ocean Shores Fire Department, as we as the Experimental Aircraft Association, which will sponsor a hot dog bar.
• Answers for All (AFA), meets every Wednesday at 10 a.m. at the Ocean Shores Elks Lodge, 199 Ocean Lake Way SE. Join for coffee and conversation about Ocean Shores, the North Beach and the county.
• Bingo at the Elks: Ocean Shores/North Beach Elks Lodge No. 2581 hosts Bingo every Sunday at 1:30 p.m., with lunch at noon; 199 Ocean Lake Way SE, 360-289-2581.
• Ocean Shores Lions Club meets at noon on the second and fourth Thursdays in the Lions Club building, 832 Ocean Shores Blvd. NW.
• Ocean Shores Kiwanis meet Tuesdays at noon at Alec’s by the Sea, 131 E. Chance A La Mer NE in Ocean Shores.
• The North Beach Senior Center and Thrift Store is located at 885 Ocean Shores Blvd. Coffee and dessert every Wednesday at 2 p.m.
• The Ocean Shores Food Bank at 848 Anchor Ave. NW provides regular distributions of food on the first and third Thursday of every month, from 1:30 until 5 p.m. Emergency food is available Monday through Saturday between 10 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. by requesting assistance at the Anchor Avenue Thrift Store.
• The Copalis Community Church Food Bank is at 3140 State Route 109. Open every Wednesday from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m.
• VFW 8956 of the North Beach meets at 6 p.m. on the first Monday of the month at 953 Trent Court SE, Ocean Shores.
• North Beach Senior Resource Center and the Olympic Area Agency on Aging have a Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisor every Thursday, noon to 2 p.m. at Ocean Shores United Methodist Church, 557 Point Brown Ave. NW.
• Women Helping Women – Women alone, sharing resources, information, support and friendship – meets at noon on the second Friday of each month at the Shilo Inn on the fourth floor. No-host lunch and speaker. Call 289-3880.
• North Beach Toastmasters will be on hiatus from Aug. 4 through Aug. 18. Meetings will resume on Aug. 25. Toastmasters holds weekly meetings at 6:30 p.m. every Thursday at the Elks Lodge, 199 Ocean Lake Way SE.
• Brookdale Ocean Shores, formerly Emeritus at Harbour Pointe Shores, is offering SAIL (Staying Active and Independent for Life) exercise classes for Seniors, with instructor Daniela Werner. Classes every Tuesday and Thursday from 10:30-11:30 a.m. at 1020 Catala Ave. SE, Ocean Shores. Public welcome, call (360) 289-9663.
• PAWS volunteers. If you love animals and have an hour and a half to spare each week helping at the shelter taking care of dogs or cats, call Lorna at (360) 289-2924.
• The Ocean Shores Animal Shelter needs volunteers a few hours a month to care for lost, stray or abandoned animals. Stop by the police station for an application.
• The Wednesday Men’s Christian Breakfast Group meets every Wednesday at 8 a.m. in the lounge at the Shilo Inn. Members are from at least 10 Harbor-area churches, and the group welcomes visitors. Contact Leon Cooke, (360) 289-5735 or 500-5242.
• There are now two Bridge sessions per week in Ocean Shores. Duplicate Bridge is 12:30 p.m. every Monday at the Ocean Shores Inn &Suites. Party Bridge starts at noon every Tuesday at the Community Club, 1016 Catala Ave. S. For more information, call Glenda Reade at (360) 289-2327.
• Pickleball: Learn to play, have fun at Damon Park on Monday, Wednesday Friday, 10 a.m.