A house at 610 Chenois Avenue in Ocean Shores was destroyed by fire Saturday night, but all the occupants were accounted for and able to escape.
The fire call came in at 5:24 p.m. in the northeast part of the city, and neighbors reported hearing explosions as the fire spread through the home from a carport. Two vans also were engulfed in the flames.
Initial reports were that people may have still been inside, according to a report by the Ocean Shores Fire Department.
“Upon arrival, Ocean Shores Fire reported a fully involved single-story modular home with multiple vehicles on fire and large explosions and ammunition going off,” the report said.
Ocean Shores Police then verified that all occupants were out of the structure. “Ocean Shores Fire was able to protect surrounding structures from catching fire from the extreme radiant heat and flames. The home was packed full of goods,” according to the report.
Ocean Shores Fire had one engine and the ladder truck respond. Neighboring Grays Harbor County Fire District 7 responded with two firefighters and Ocean Shores also had one volunteer respond. Ocean Shores CERT team also responded to support fire operations.
“Special thanks to CERT, Ocean Shores Police Department for their quick action and response and Fire District 7,” the Fire Department report said.
The home was a complete loss, and the fire is under investigation. A pet dog was lost in the fire.
On Sunday morning, flames could still be seen inside in the charred south side of the structure as Ocean Shore Fire Inspector Curt Begley began his investigation. He could not yet say what the cause was.
A fund is being set up to help those displaced by the fire through the Bank of the Pacific, where donations can be made to the Wilcox Family Fire Fund.
The family currently is being housed at the Canterbury Inn, said Manager Shannon Rubin who helped set up the fund.
Ocean Shores Churches appear to have been targeted on Halloween night by someone using chalk to spread graffiti.
Police responded to reports the next morning at multiple locations. The first was a malicious mischief report at the Galilean Chapel in the 800 block of Ocean Shores Blvd. NW.
That was followed by a report of graffiti at Faith Community Church in the 200 block of Canal Dr. SE at 9:26 a.m.; and then to churches in the 600 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NW at 9:24 a.m., in the 500 block of Pt Brown Ave. NW at 9:36 a.m., and in the 600 block of Weatherwax Loop NE at 9:43 a.m.
Ocean Shores Police Log
• Malicious mischief/business found a broken window in the 800 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NE at 12:52 p.m.
• Sex offense in the 800 block of Anchor Ave. NW at 2:14 p.m.
• Wildlife problem, deer hit by a car in the 1000 block of Ocean Shores Blvd. SW at 5:13 p.m.
• Illegal burn in the 600 block of Chenois Ave. NE at 8:33 p.m.
• Disorderly conduct in the 400 block of Cenntaurus Ave. SW at 9:59 p.m.
• Court order violation in the 100 block of Ocean Lake Way NE at 10:14 p.m.
• Domestic violence response in the 600 block of Olympus Ave. SE at 10:26 p.m.
• Malicious mischief in the 800 block of Dory Ct. NE at 12:22 a.m.
• Camping/RV violation in the 700 block of Wood Duck Ave. SE at 8:06 a.m.
• Theft of construction item on S. Razor Clam Dr. SW at Point Brown Ave. at 8:48 a.m.
• Theft of wallet reported in the 800 block of Ocean Shores Blvd. NW at 1:49 p.m.
• Warrant arrest in the 100 block of Galleon Loop NE at 2:51 p.m.
• Disorderly conduct in the 700 block of Ocean Ct. NW at 3:58 p.m.
• Chimney fire in the 500 block of Duck Lake Dr. NE at 5:18 p.m.
• Vehicle drove off roadway in the 800 block of Pt. Brown Ave. SE at 7:34 p.m.
• Theft of bicycle in the 700 block of S. Rain St. NE at 8 p.m.
• Burglary of a shed in the 700 block of Duck Lake Dr. SE at 8:47 a.m.
• Warrant arrest in the 200 block of State Route 115 at 3:58 p.m.
• Harassment in the 700 block of Ocean Ct. NW.
• Assist with individual forcibly evicted from residence in the 300 block of Adventurer St. Se at 9:31 a.m.
• Burglary to shed in the 300 block of N. Razor Clam Dr. SW at 11:11 a.m.
• Code enforcement in the 600 block of Blue Wing Loop SE at 1:02 p.m.
• Code enforcement in the 900 block of Hassalo Ave. SE at 1:17 p.m.
• Wildlife problem/three bears spotted on Cockle St. Sw and N. Razor Clam Dr. SW at 2:02 p.m.
• Burglary reported in the 500 block of E. Chance a la Mer St. Ne at 5:18 p.m.
• Assault in the 100 block of Galleon Loop NE at 5:40 p.m.
• Deer-van accident in the 200 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NW at 6:15 p.m.
• Domestic violence assault in the 200 block of Ocean Shores Blvd. NW at 8 p.m.
• Camping/RV violation in the 500 block of Kahkwo Ct. SE at 11:34 a.m.
• Assist with response to domestic violence incident in the 2200 block of SR 109 at the Hogan’s Corner Gull station at 7:55 p.m.
• Vehicle impounded in the 300 block of Olympic View Ave. NE at 12:14 a.m.
• Warrant arrest on Shoal St. NE at Sea Horse Ave. NE at 6:59 a.m.
• Assist with response to utility pole wire outage in the 300 block of S. Razor Clam Dr. SW at 10:08 a.m.
• Theft of construction wood in the 900 block of Beachcomber Ct. SW at 1:05 p.m.
• Illegal burning in the 700 block of Sea Horse Ave. NE at 1:29 p.m.
• Camping/RV violations on the beach at the Chance a la Mer approach at 7:40 a.m. and at 7:45 a.m.
• Trespassing in the 900 block of Camoko Ct. NE at 8:59 a.m.