Oyhut Bay on Sunday will host the Washington State Tolbert Chili Cookoff from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and it’s an open qualifier for the World Food Championship.
Chili Red will be judged for the Tolbert event, which needs 15 entries to qualify for the World Food Championship, where the winner takes home $10,000.
The event at Oyhut Bay also benefits the Lantern Lunch Program to service children in need across the North Beach. Oyhut Bay also is offering discount rental rates to compeitiors who stay the weekend.
To register, call (360) 589-7751,
For more information on the Terlingua/Tolbert history, visit online at: https://cravedfw.com/2012/10/31/the-colorful-history-of-the-chili-cook-off/
Or the World Food Championships: https://worldfoodchampionships.com/competitions
Artists displayed at GHC
A number of North Beach artists are now on display in the Grays Harbor College Spellman Library gallery with original works by members of the North Beach Artists Guild. A reception for the participating artists will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday (Sept. 3) at the library. The Guild will receive 50 percent commission from art work that is sold to further promote art and art education within the community.
Artists displaying works include Kristi Beitzel, Terry DeHart, Dana Dietz, Ardith Forsgren, Sharon Gochoel, Julie Guerrero, Roy Lowry, Lora Malakoff, Ella Seely, Patricia Smith, Lee Staley, Geri Stubb, Mery Swanson, Sue Tucker, Brent Whitmire and Julie Wolfe.
The exhibit may also be viewed during regular Spellman Library hours, 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays; until 6 p.m. on Thursday, until 4:30 p.m. on Fridays and between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Saturdays.
Bacon Bash canceled
One new event — the Bacon Bash celebrating all things created by and with bacon — has been canceled and may be tried in a smaller way later in the year. The event was scheduled for Sept. 23-25 with food, vendors, novelties and entertainment.
• Sept. 30-Oct. 1 — Show n’ Shine at the Shores: Two days and nights of the returning car show sponsored by www.pushrods.org and featuring Lance Lambert of the Vintage Vehicle Show as the celebrity master of ceremonies. Register for $20 ($15 online) for a chance at $2,500 in cash and prizes, with a poker run on Friday.
• Oct. 1 — Big Foot Brew Fest, Seabrook: Enjoy a variety of microbrews. Front Street beer garden.
• Oct. 15 — Grays Harbor CASA’s Benefit Concert & Art Show, 6-9 p.m. at the Log Pavilion in Aberdeen; Featuring art by local foster children and local musicians. Tickets are $30 and available at http://ghcasa.bpt.me/ and at the Grays Harbor CASA office.
• Oct. 20-23 — Irish Music Festival, Ocean Shores, Hoquiam. Largest Irish music celebration on the West Coast with 30 or more bands scheduled. (www.galwaybayirishpub.com).
• Nov. 25-27 — Winter Fanta-Sea at the Ocean Shores Convention Center; Unique handmade items just in time for the holidays.
• Nov. 25 — Seabrook annual Christmas Tree Lighting, with hot chocolate bar, cookie exchange, caroling, and Santa arriving on a bike, outside Town Hall in Seabrook.
• Dec. 3 — Community Christmas Tree Lighting Pacific Beach, 5 p.m.The GHFD No. 8 Santa and his crew will be there, local businesses will have treats. Contact Stephanie at (360) 276-0009.
• Dec. 23 — Seabrook’s Holiday Concert at Town Hall, 7 p.m. Performing again this year will be Ericka Corban and a special musical guest; $5 per person, pay at the door.