An Ocean Shores man died Jan. 11 in a collision on State Route 109 near the western city limits of Hoquiam. The man has been identified by the Grays Harbor Coroner’s Office as Christopher A. Redd.
The crash occurred a little after 4 p.m. and the road was closed for about five hours.
The preliminary investigation indicates that Redd, who was northbound, lost control of his vehicle. Witnesses said it spun around and then crossed into the southbound lane, directly in front of a vehicle driven by a 48-year-old man from Tumwater.
The Tumwater man suffered minor injuries and was taken to Grays Harbor Community Hospital as a precaution. Witnesses said the Tumwater man had little chance to avoid the other car, as it had spun into the lane very quickly.
While the road was closed, drivers were detoured through 101 North onto Ocean Beach Road and Powell Road.
The investigation was handled by the Hoquiam Police Department as that area of Highway 109 is within city limits.
The Washington State Patrol and Department of Transportation assisted with traffic control and establishing detours during the closure. The new FARO laser scanner was used to measure the scene and operated by investigators from Hoquiam and the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office.
An autopsy is planned for Monday.
A double-wide mobile home was fully engulfed in flames Saturday evening, Jan. 13, in the 800 block of Dory Court in Ocean Shores. Fire Inspector Curt Begley was on the scene Sunday morning and said it was too early to determine the cause. The fire was reported just after 6 p.m. The occupants were not home at the time.
Ocean Shores Police calls
• Theft of checks and money reported in the 600 block of Island Circle at 9:39 a.m.
• Vehicle stuck in the sand on the beach at the Chance a la Mer approach at 11:34 a.m.
• Shoplifting arrest in the 100 block of E. Chance a la Mer St. NE AT 12:25 p.m.
• Camping violation in the 500 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NW at 7:30 p.m.
• Wildlife problem/report of a fox at hotel at 10:12 p.m. in the 700 block of Ocean Shores Blvd. NW.
• Assisted Sheriff’s Department with suspicious vehicle on Hale Ave. and Shamrock Way in Ocean City at 7:34 a.m.
• Civil dispute in the parking lot of the Fire Department at 8:18 a.m.
• Possible sex offense reported to Child Protective Services at 8:40 a.m.
• Code enforcement response in the 800 block of Hassalo Ave. SE at 12:02 p.m.
• Fourth-degree assault in the 100 block of Sunrise Ave. SE at 2:18 p.m.
• Family fight in the 500 block of Sand Dune Ave. SW at 6:42 p.m.
• Animal problem/barking dogs in the 1100 block of Fairwood Dr. SW at 2:08 a.m.
• Traffic stop/infraction for no valid license with identification at 3:05 a.m. on Pacific Blvd. NW at Ensign Ave.
• Residential burglary with forced entry reported at 2:59 p.m. in the 200 block of Duck Lake Dr. NE.
• Weapon complaint/man walking with machete at 4:46 p.m. in the 700 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NE.
• Traffic stop/infraction for speed and expired vehicle license at 7:58 p.m. in the 300 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NE.
• Traffic violation/driver cited for driving with suspended license at 8:16 p.m. in the 100 block of E. Chance a la Mer St. NE.
• Two-vehicle traffic accident, one driver cited for failure to yield and driving with suspended license, at 9:02 a.m. on Pt. Brown Ave. NW at W. Chance a la Mer St.
• Camping/RV violation in the 600 block of Chenois Ave. NE at 1:19 p.m.
• Noise complaint in the 800 block of S. Rain St. NE at 8:57 p.m.
• Assist with roll-over accident on State Route 109 at Burrows Rd. at 9:40 p.m.
• Camping/RV violation at 11:03 p.m. in the 700 block of Minard Ave. NW.
• Abandoned vehicle at 9:26 a.m. on Duck Lake Dr. NE at E. Rain St. NE.
• Assist with Fire Department response to house fire at 6:14 p.m. in the 800 block of Dory Ct. NE.
• Disorderly conduct at 1:06 a.m. in the 800 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NW.
• Traffic stop/infractions for speed, no insurance and expired vehicle license at 9:51 a.m. in the 100 block of Ocean Lake Way NE.
• Stolen vehicle reported at 10:12 a.m. in the 700 block of Sea Horse St. NE.
• Residential burglary reported in the 500 block of Inlet Ave. NW at 1:44 p.m.
• Assist Sheriff’s Department with report of female who jumped out of moving vehicle on SR 109 milepost 19 at 6:29 p.m.
• Warrant arrest in the 300 block of Damon Rd. NE at 9 p.m.
• Warrant arrest at 11:55 p.m. in the 800 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NW.