The Ocean Shores Police Department has issued a warning about a cougar in the area of the Weatherwax preserve.
The Weatherwax is a large parcel of undeveloped woodland in the center of Ocean Shores. It features a series of hiking trails that are popular with local residents and visitors alike.
On Feb. 10, a citizen reported finding a dead deer in the Weatherwax property, and he believed that the wounds looked like they were caused by a cougar, according to the report.
On Feb. 12, a state Department of Fish Wildlife officer checked the carcass and confirmed that it was indeed killed by a cougar. He informed the city Animal Control Officer that it appeared to be the work of a young cougar.
Anyone walking in the Weatherwax is cautioned to pay attention to the surroundings, to keep all pets on a leash and keep a close eye on small children. “Experts say that cougars are very unlikely to attack humans, especially in a place like Ocean Shores where natural food sources are plentiful,” said a Police news release.
On Feb. 13, a woman also reported seeing a cougar in her yard in the 600 block of Copalis Ave. NE. She asked that an officer accompany her to her vehicle.
Questions and concerns are directed to the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife at 1-877-933-9847.
Ocean Shores Police reports
• Trespassing in the 800 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NW at 1:53 p.m.
• Domestic violence assault in the 100 block of Barnacle St. NW at 4:18 p.m.
• Camping/RV violation in the 100 block of Duck Lake Dr. NE at 10:08 a.m.
• Domestic violence assault in the 600 block of Sunset Ave. NE at 5:30 p.m.
• Code violation/garbage dumped on beach at Taurus Blvd. approach at 10:30 a.m.
• Code violation/no city business license in the 100 block of E. Chance a la Mer St. NE at 1:53 p.m.
• Malicious mischief/vehicle vandalized in the 800 block of Ocean Shores Blvd. NW at 7:13 p.m.
• Theft reported in the 400 block of Duck Lake Dr. SE at 8:23 a.m.
• Theft of musical equipment reported in the 800 block of Ocean Shores Blvd. NW at 1:55 p.m.
• DUI arrest in the 700 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NE at 11:03 p.m.
• Traffic accident in the 1200 block of E. Ocean Shores Blvd. SW at 1:42 p.m.
• Disorderly conduct in the 300 block of N. Butter Clam St. SW at 5:36 p.m.
• Assist with traffic control at accident in the 300 block of Damon Rd. NE at 7:15 a.m.