A Pacific Beach teenager in a hurry to play video games led Hoquiam Police on a pursuit through a residential area and down Sumner Avenue Nov. 23, according to a statement from Sgt. Jeff Salstrom.
An officer observed a red 2005 Hyundai Elantra being driven recklessly at 23rd and Cherry streets around 5 p.m.
“The driver ran through a stop sign at a high rate of speed in front of the officer,” said Salstrom. “As the officer attempted to catch up to the vehicle, the driver continued to drive in an erratic manner and continued to accelerate.”
The officer activated his lights and siren, but the driver ran a second stop sign before turning onto Sumner. The vehicle then ran the red light at 23rd Street and Sumner, nearly causing a collision, said Salstrom.
“The driver accelerated to Riverside Avenue, reaching speeds of 50-55 mph in the 30 mph zone,” said Salstrom. “The driver swerved across several lanes of traffic on Riverside Avenue, again almost causing several collisions.”
When the vehicle reached the Riverside Bridge, the driver took the corner too fast and struck the curb with the right front tire, said Salstrom. The impact damaged the wheel and axle, but the driver was still able to turn the wrong way onto Levee Street before coming to a stop.
The 17-year-old driver was ordered from the car and arrested without further incident. He told officers he did not stop because he didn’t have a driver’s license and was afraid he would get a ticket. The suspect had borrowed the car from a friend and admitted he had been driving fast and ran the stop sign because he was in a hurry to get to a friend’s house to play video games.
He is facing a felony charge of attempting to elude a police vehicle, said Salstrom.
Ocean Shores Police calls
• Noise complaint in the 100 block of Barnacle St. at 12:18 a.m.
• Trespassing in the 400 block of Octopus Ave. NE at 10:49 a.m.
• Code enforcement issue in the 300 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NW at 11:27 a.m.
• Code violation on Barnacle St. NW and Ocean Shores Blvd. NW at 1:54 p.m.
• Juvenile runaway reported in the 100 block of Marine View Dr. SW at 2:34 p.m.
• Code enforcement issue in the 200 block of Duck Lake Dr. SE at 3:10 p.m.
• Abandoned vehicle on Overlake St. NE at Bass Ave. NE at 8:10 p.m.
• Disorderly conduct in the 100 block of Barnacle St. NW at 10:52 p.m.
• Report of a Social Security scam in the 200 block of Pt. Brown Ave. SW at 7:20 a.m.
• Vehicle/deer traffic accident in the 300 block of North Butter Clam St. SW at 2:24 p.m.
• Driving under the influence in the 600 block of Ocean Shores Blvd. NW at 4:51 p.m.
• Arrest for domestic violence assault in the 300 block of Duck Lake Dr. NE at 7:32 p.m.
• Subject arrested for being disorderly and trespassing in the 800 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NW at 10:42 p.m.
• Arrest for domestic violence assault in the 1300 block of Ocean Shores Blvd. SW at 11:37 p.m.
• Disorderly conduct in the 800 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NW at 1:05 a.m.
• Subject arrested a second time for trespassing in the 800 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NW at 3:33 a.m.
• Code enforcement/report of subject shooting crows at the airport in the 400 block of Duck Lake Dr. NE at 3:42 p.m.
• Assisted with aid call at the Convention Center at 11:48 a.m.
• Domestic violence assault in the 300 block of N. Wynoochee Dr. SW at 1:50 p.m.
• DUI arrest at 5:02 p.m. on Ocean Shores Blvd. at Chance a la Mer.
• Fireworks being discharged on the beach north of Chance a la Mer approach at 7:50 p.m.
• Warrant arrest in the 700 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NE at 6:31 p.m.
• Disorderly conduct in North Bay Park at 8:01 p.m.
• Malicious mischief/damage to fencing in the 700 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NE at 9:06 p.m.
• Trespassing response at the Quinault Beach Resort & Casino at 11:24 p.m.
• Theft from vehicle in the 300 block of Damon Rd. NE reported at 9:07 a.m.
• Threatening texts to a child reported in the 200 block of Sand Dune Ave. NW at 11:54 a.m.
• Vehicle accident/off the roadway on Weatherwax Loop NE at Sunset Ave. at 5:06 p.m.
• Theft of wallet in the 700 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NE at 10:38 p.m.
• Found handgun in motel room in the 700 block of Ocean Shores Blvd. NW at 3:21.
• Trespassing in the 700 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NE at 6:12 p.m.
• Weapon offense/verbal argument between husband and wife in the 800 block of Magellan Ave. Ne at 3:12 a.m.
• Trespassing in the 800 block of Pt. Brown Ave. NW at 7:06 a.m.
• Trespassing in the 800 block of Ocean Shores Blvd. NW at 8 a.m.
• Code enforcement violation in the 100 block of Barnacle St. NW at 11:58 a.m.
• Trespassing in the 1300 block of Storm King Ave. SW at 4:04 p.m.